Recipe by Chef Michael Swamy
I love experimenting with different liquids when cooking and tea is one of my most favourite ingredients. Here, I have used flavoured tea to make this subtle soup.
4 cups diced pumpkin
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
½ teaspoon coriander seeds
6 cups water or mild vegetable stock
2 tablespoons rose-flavoured green tea tied in a bundle with cheesecloth
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the pumpkin with onion, ginger, coriander seeds and stock in a saucepan. Place the pan over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally till pumpkinis cooked through.
- When pumpkin is very tender and almost mashy, add tea bundle to the pan, reduce flame to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from flame and allow mixture to cool.
- Remove and discard the tea bundle.
- Transfer pumpkin mixture to a blender and blend to a smooth puree. Strain the puree into the same saucepan and add salt and pepper.
- Heat the soup over medium low flame till hot.
- Serve hot garnished with edible flower petals and a swirl of cream.